MLB will donate $1M to non-profits in Puerto Rico, Mexico

Major League Baseball will donate $ 1 million to non-profit organizations to assist relief efforts following Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico and an earthquake in Mexico.

"These devastating natural disasters have deeply affected the baseball family," commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement on Saturday.

“Players from Puerto Rico and Mexico are an important part of the past, present and future of our game. We hope that our contribution will aid immediate and ongoing efforts during this critical time and the long-term recovery for the people of Puerto Rico and Mexico.”

Related: MLB, Players Association jointly pledge $ 1M to Houston relief

MLB will send its contributions directly to Habitat for Humanity, Project C.U.R.E., and the U.S. Fund for UNICEF. In addition, the league will assist physicians by supplying funds for travel to affected regions.

Copyright © 2017 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

MLB | theScore

Kobe joins chorus of NBAers critical of Trump

With LeBron James and Chris Paul sharing their thoughts about the recent behavior of President Donald Trump, other leaders in the sport continue to make their stances clear.

This time, Lakers legend Kobe Bryant joined the chorus, suggesting that Trump's controversial statements are having the exact opposite effect of what his famous campaign slogan hoped to achieve.

With Bryant, James, and Paul setting the tone for a post-"stick to sports" era among basketball players, it stands to reason that many more will follow in their footsteps, especially with most teams hosting their media days Monday.

Copyright © 2017 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

NBA | theScore

Phil Jackson on Melo trade: ‘I hope it works out well for both parties’

In a shocking twist, former Knicks president Phil Jackson was among the first wave of pundits to weigh-in on the blockbuster deal which will reportedly send Carmelo Anthony to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Despite the fact that it was the calamitous relationship between Jackson and Anthony which led to the the superstar forward asking for a trade in the first place, there don’t seem to be any hard feelings on Jackson’s end.

For reasons unknown, Jackson tweeted, then deleted the message below.

With Jackson often publicly pining for Anthony to waive his no-trade clause, helping trigger a rebuild in New York, tension began to mount between the franchise’s on and off-court leaders. At the conclusion of the 2016-17 regular season, in which the Knicks stumbled to a 31-51 record, Anthony said it was “hard to trust” Jackson due to his passive-aggressive style.

Jackson and the team mutually agreed to part ways on June 28. On July 18, it was reported that Anthony had informed the team he wished to play elsewhere for the coming season.

Copyright © 2017 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

NBA | theScore

Jackson sets Louisville’s career TD record in blowout win over Kent State

Louisville rebounded from a tough game against Clemson last week, crushing Kent State at home 42-3.

Lamar Jackson registered 399 total yards and three scores, with his last of the day – a 15-yard toss to Javonte Bagley – breaking the program's all-time record for most career touchdowns with 88.

The reigning Heisman winner completed 18-of-22 passes, and added 34 rushing yards on eight carries while tossing two interceptions against the Golden Flashes.

Running back Malik Williams added two rushing touchdowns for the Cardinals, while Seth Dawkins hauled in Jackson's other touchdown pass.

Louisville will travel to NC State next week to face the Wolfpack.

Copyright © 2017 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

NCAAF | theScore

Report: NFL players considering further protests following Trump’s criticism

(Warning: Story contains coarse language)

Thirty-five NFL players who have previously not protested during the national anthem will do so Sunday in response to President Donald Trump's comments, according to Shaun King of The Intercept.

Related – Trump rips anthem protesters: 'Get that son of a b—- off the field'

Players will sit, take a knee, or raise a fist during the "Star-Spangled Banner," added King.

Buffalo Bills players, in particular, plan to address Trump's call for anthem protesters to be fired in a team meeting Saturday, according to ESPN's Jeff Darlington.

Darlington described the Bills' locker room as "extremely emotional" in the wake of Trump's criticism, with players considering "several possibilities" in terms of a protest in Week 3.

Bills star running back LeSean McCoy called the president an "asshole" in a tweet Saturday, one of many responses from NFLers on social media.

Related: NFLers continue to condemn Trump's call to fire anthem protesters

Trump's comments were also denounced by commissioner Roger Goodell and NFL Players Association director DeMaurice Smith.

Copyright © 2017 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

NFL | theScore

Sabathia would ‘never’ visit Trump in the White House if Yankees win WS

In the wake of President Donald Trump rescinding his already-rejected White House invitation to Stephen Curry, CC Sabathia of the New York Yankees echoed the sentiments of the Golden State Warriors point guard.

When prompted with the question of whether he'd visit the White House and Trump in the event of a World Series championship for the Yankees, Sabathia told Mike Mazzeo of the New York Daily News: "never."

“I just don’t believe in anything that is Trump,” the 37-year-old left-hander continued before Saturday’s game against the Toronto Blue Jays. “So there wouldn’t be any reason for me to go at all.”

Curry, who won his second championship with the Warriors in 2017, had his invitation to the White House taken back by the President over Twitter, due to alleged trepidation. In actuality, no such invitation had even been extended to the team by the administration, Warriors coach Steve Kerr told Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.

The two-time MVP expressed that he would vote against going to the White House when he and his team met to discuss the matter.

The Yankees can clinch a playoff berth with a victory over the Blue Jays on Saturday, and would likely sit 12 playoff wins away from a World Series – including the wild card game if the team falls short of usurping the Boston Red Sox for the division.

Whether other Yankees players would join Sabathia by sitting out a potential visit to the White House and Trump is largely conjecture, but counting the veteran pitcher out is a certainty.

Copyright © 2017 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

MLB | theScore

Warriors release statement on rescinded White House invite

After President Donald Trump tweeted that the NBA champion Golden State Warriors wouldn't be invited to the White House this year, the team has responded with an official statement of their own.

Here is the Warriors' statement:

While we intended to meet as a team at the first opportunity we had this morning to collaboratively discuss a potential visit to the White House, we accept that President Trump has made it clear that we are not invited. We believe there is nothing more American than our citizens having the right to express themselves freely on matters important to them. We're disappointed that we did not have an opportunity during this process to share our views or have open dialogue on issues impacting our communities that we felt would be important to raise.

In lieu of a visit to the White House, we have decided that we'll constructively use our trip to the nation's capital in February to celebrate equality, diversity and inclusion – the values that we embrace as an organization.

An official invitation from the Trump administration was never actually tendered in the first place, according to ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.

While Trump indicated it was hesitation shown by guard Stephen Curry which led to the withdrawn invitation, both Curry and Kevin Durant have been fairly adamant that they wouldn't be participating in a White House visit if invited.

Copyright © 2017 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

NBA | theScore

Report: Knicks agree to trade Carmelo to OKC

The Melo-Drama is over.

The New York Knicks have reportedly agreed to send Carmelo Anthony to the Oklahoma City Thunder for a package that includes Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott, and a draft pick, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Anthony is expected to waive both his no-trade clause and trade kicker to facilitate the deal, which will be made official after a call to the league office on Monday.

The Thunder will send the Knicks the Chicago Bulls’ 2018 second-round pick, according to The Vertical’s Shams Charania.

Anthony had reportedly informed the Knicks in July he did not wish to return to the franchise for the 2017-18 season. The overture from Anthony's camp reportedly reached a crescendo this week ahead of the team's Media Day this Monday. While Anthony had allegedly set his sights on joining the Houston Rockets, he relented on his demand, eventually adding the Thunder and Cleveland Cavaliers to the list of teams he'd be willing to waive his no-trade clause to join.

Drafted by the Denver Nuggets with the No. 3 pick in 2003, Anthony quickly blossomed into an All-Star, but his superstar status was truly cemented in Feb. 22, 2011 upon his trade to the Knicks. After finding immediate success, including three straight playoff appearances, Anthony’s outlook with the franchise dampened in recent years, particularly as his relationship with former team president Phil Jackson began to fray.

Related: 5 awful decisions that defined Phil Jackson’s tenure with Knicks

Ironically, it was Jackson who included the no-trade clause in Anthony’s contract, which ultimately served to make it extremely difficult to trade the 33-year-old forward without Anthony’s blessing.

Through parts of seven seasons in the Big Apple, Anthony averaged 24.7 points, seven rebounds, and 3.2 assists per game, being selected to the All-Star Game each year, and leading the league in scoring during the 2012-13 season.

With the Thunder, Anthony will form a potent three-superstar unit with reigning MVP Russell Westbrook and two-way wing Paul George, who was acquired via trade from the Indiana Pacers earlier this summer.

Altogether, Westbrook, George, and Anthony can boast a trophy cabinet featuring 20 All-Star selections, 15 All-NBA team selections, three All-Defensive team selections, three scoring titles, and an MVP Award. None managed to capture an elusive championship however; Westbrook and the Thunder lost to the Miami Heat in his only Finals appearance in 2012.

Copyright © 2017 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

NBA | theScore

Watch: Texas A&M’s Kirk returns kickoff 100 yards for TD

Texas A&M and Arkansas are slugging it out at AT&T Stadium.

After the Razorbacks took a 36-33 lead on a seven-play, 79-yard drive, Christian Kirk of the Aggies took the ensuing kickoff 100 yards to the house.

Daniel LaCamera would add the extra point to put the Aggies back on top 40-36 late in the fourth quarter.

Copyright © 2017 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

NCAAF | theScore

Trump: Players should stand for anthem for ‘privilege’ of NFL career

President Donald Trump doubled down on his comments from Friday, tweeting Saturday that any player who shows "disrespect" by protesting during the U.S. national anthem should lose the "privilege" of playing in the NFL.

Related – Trump rips anthem protesters: ‘Get that son of a b—- off the field’

Trump called for NFL owners to fire any players who protest during the "Star-Spangled Banner" at a rally Friday in Alabama.

The president’s comments have led to an outpouring of criticism from around the NFL.

Roger Goodell said Trump's words "demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL. Players Association director DeMaurice Smith added: "No man or woman should ever have to choose a job that forces them to surrender their rights." Richard Sherman described the president's behavior "unacceptable."

Related: NFLers continue to condemn Trump’s call to fire anthem protesters

NFL players are reportedly considering further protests in Week 3 in the wake of Trump’s remarks.

Copyright © 2017 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

NFL | theScore